Universal ERM Requirements
The Universal ERM Requirements serve as a resource for agencies looking to use a technology solution to assist with managing their records. By referring to these guidelines, agencies can determine what ERM functions are critical, while also considering their personal needs and financial priorities.
Agencies should refer to this document when they’re deciding on an ERM system. The protocols are broken down into “must have” and “should have” recommendations, and agencies must make sure their ERM system, at least, complies with the “must have” requirements.
With the M-12-18 deadline approaching, agencies who haven’t tackled their electronic records yet should consider the solution offered by Feith Systems & Software Inc. The Feith team of subject
matter experts have guided countless government agencies during their transition to managing electronic records across their lifecycle. Furthermore, Feith’s software ensures that agencies comply with both NARA’s Must Haves and recommendations – Feith supports every requirement of the new Universal ERM Requirements.
Here are some examples of how Feith’s system can help your agency align with NARA Universal ERM Requirements:
“The record system must have the ability to prevent illegal access, alteration, or deletion of records.”
- Full Attribute-Based and Role-Based Access controls for every document and data row in the system.
- Set legal-holds to prevent deletion of records.
- Meets the DoD 5015.02 standard for managing controlled, classified, and sensitive documents.
How Feith Helps Agencies Align With This Requirement:
“Any actions changing the level of access, altering the record, or changing the location of the record must be documented and tracked into an audit log.”
- The Feith platform contains a full audit-trail of every change in the system. No action in the system flies under the radar of the audit system.
- Full system log contain who, what, when, where, and how a setting or piece of metadata was changed.
- Track and dashboard individual users, groups, roles, and their respective actions.
“Records of current and former employees must be managed in a manner that supports searching in response to information requests, including FOIA and agency business needs.”
- Full-text and content search across all documents, including emails and their attachments.
- Adjust search parameters to simplify search processes.
- Advanced search allows Power Users to find things in creative ways.
“Ensuring usability of records includes converting records to usable formats and maintaining the link between the records and their metadata through the conversion process.”
- Captures records in their native formats, but will also generate readable PDF formats for web review, redactions, and production for legal.
- Transfers files in correct file format and with complete metadata to NARA.
“Ensuring usability of records includes carrying out system upgrades of hardware and software while maintaining the functionality and integrity of the electronic records created in them.”
- Maintains records for entire lifecycle.
- Whether On-Premises or in the Cloud, the system is easy to upgrade, and the records are provably secure throughout the process.
Government agencies should make sure their ERM system adheres to the Universal ERM Requirements established by NARA; Feith’s solution makes it simple for agencies to comply with these regulations.
To learn more about how Feith helps agencies meet the NARA M-12-18 mandate and Universal ERM requirements, contact the Feith team!